The Stairway Project Wants To Help You Create Your Own Stairway To Heaven Covers & Collaborations
With this aim the site hopes to host resources and serve as a hub for those looking to record or collaborate on their own Stairway Projects. You’ll find articles and tutorials here as well as many other resources about the song all geared towards facilitating your understanding of Stairway to Heaven and to help you connect with others interested in the same.
The Original Project Started With a Challenge:
The challenge was to record a faithful recreation of the studio version of Stairway to Heaven, and make it as note for note as possible playing all instruments and parts as played by Led Zeppelin on the original studio recording, then mixing and mastering the song using the studio master as a reference.
There were several directives – the biggest being:
Thou Shall Not Release Another Hack Version of Stairway on the World.
Following that there were these stipulations:
- That each part must be attempted and played as a continuous part. No looping or excessive cutting and pasting or fixing of the song in the mix.
- That everything must be recorded in a home studio environment with the gear at hand.
- That the project itself serve as a tutorial for home recording enthusiasts to show what was possible working on very basic recording gear within the constraints of having a little bedroom studio & to write articles and build a website to share the project and it’s process with others.
- That once the basic instrumental tracks were recorded, to open up the project to as many people as possible to participate in the cutting vocals for and the mixing and mastering stages.
- Allow the project to expand into whatever it could be and eventually include as many people as possible in some way shape and form.
- Make sure that it’s fun for everyone who participates.